Thursday, March 18

Writing about what I've read.


Yesterday, was the last day of Winter semester. I was dead tired last night, When I woke up my body felt like blocks of cement were weighting it down. I've had to be reading three or four different books, or pieces at once. A book made me laugh outloud on several occasions: While on the bus, sitting in lobbies, Or in the horrid campus cafeteria. I just couldn't help but, laugh. There were a lot of eyebrows raised at me, I'm sure. But I don't care. Sherman Alexie's, Diary of a Part Time Indian. I loved it, like I naturally love all of his work I support him, because he is an indigenous Native man. But, there were some things I took umbrage with; And, I DO NOT EVER under any circumstances speak out against, 'One of my own.'
So here it goes, AS if there are not enough stereotypes and prejudged notions working toward Native American indigenous peoples, Already. He has to throw fat on the fire? He paints, one of the worst pictures of us peoples by saying how drunk, or violent we are. Does he NOT know? People already think, and believe that? His largest audience is the ignorant, shallow, unlearned Middle class white person. Who allows for her own government, to continue to rob the Native peoples little bit of money by saying, "I didn't do those horrid things. I can't fix it. And, someone has to pay taxes for roads to casinos."
I am a Native American indigenous woman 4/4 100% going back seven generations. I have had published pieces; And, I chose immediately to not one time speak out against my own. To never, invite an already cold, unfeeling and callous people into mine and my Native peoples life and living. Which, is by far, the only thing we as a people have left.
Mr. Alexie on the other hand has no problem throwing the door wide open; As, he too lays judgment upon his OWN people. Friends and family like him...One does not need any type nor kind of enemy. Whatever kind of money he was paid, I do hope it was worth it.
Yes, it made me laugh. But, so does laughing gas.

I read some of Ray Carver's work and I truly enjoyed it and loved the power and presence of it. Although, I'm sure what I read was published before I was born, It felt like it could have happen on that very morning. The piece I had to read for review was 'What We Talk About When We Talk About Love.' it was thought provoking for sure and evoked emotions from me. It was easy to read, even with four different people as characters WHO WERE GETTING drunk! I am still stuck on Vladimir Nabokov I've got a compilation of 13 short stories he'd written originally in Russian and had translated. Although, I've done my essay paper for Goblin Market by Christina Rossetti I still have tons of books on Victorian writers that I can't bare to part with and return to the library. There's a lot in them there books....I'm captivated and held prisoner by my own curiosity. For shits and giggles, I am reading Lolita again. It is a dirty, grimy world to be in.
With Lolita and Humbert Humbert.....
But, you have to read a book several times before truly understanding some of it's aspects.

Having read Mr. Alexie's book makes me want to go back to some real good quality writing by James Welch. I met both of these fine men while on the North Olympic Peninsula. I am a different type of writer; And, person. I don't reckon, everyone could be the same.

3 comments:

Tyler Gobble said...

Alexie is a really interesting writer. I have read Part-Time Indian and Reservation Blues among a smattering of poems published in places poems are published. He tells stories about Native Americans in a purely genuine way that is rich and rewarding.

Christopher said...

It's interesting hearing about conflicts like this within literature. You don't, as a writer, want to perpetuate negative stereotypes and shouldn't. But, writers also have a tendency to take what's in their everyday life and exaggerate it to make it more interesting. If there are some negative things around you personally you could extrapolate them out to the world as a whole and become really offensive if you aren't careful.

Portland girl. said...

TG, He is an excellent writer; And, he always writes in a way which begs some kind and type of response, Do reservations and Native's have to be sooo bad? No, it doesn't and no it ISN't, not they are not.

Christopher Robin, I felt kind of badly about how badly the darn book affected me....Thanks for the support...for my writing, thinking, feeling style.