Sunday, February 28

Finds us.


I went on a walk; a roll, or something in my sleep last night. I woke up in the dark, early-early this a.m. facing, and laying on the opposite side of my bed. As, odd as it might, sound I am a controlled sleeper and don't generally wander off to far, in my sleeping-state. My mind, ever aware even as my eyes are shut tight; And my body supposedly relaxed, and asleep. I was surprised when I awoke. I heard my voice in my head: "Where am I?" Like, I'd gone some where. "What happen? How did I get over here?" I hopped up, straight away this a.m. full of vim and vigor.
I guess, I slept sound last night.
Yesterday, I read the news online, and followed the stories closely. I wondered about the state of the world. I'm sure many folks might be thinking along those lines with two violent, world shaking, building breaking, road cracking earthquakes. I felt, just badly about the Haitians, and Chileans. As, I worry, about my own stupid-feeble financial status; At least, I have a small-minuscule financial status. I wondered, if God was to saying something to the people who live, on and in this world in such violent-awesome actions only, He could do. Maybe, isn't there a different, way he could get our attention? If so, what are the chances we would notice?

One of my sister's gave up her apartment; And, she has a job? One of my nephew's is losing his home, and shirt under his home mortgage. My one saving grace, is I am in college.
I make it a practice to be and feel grateful for every possession I have. My little apartment, and the belongings within which I know must only be of value to me.
TO be grateful, and thankful for my brothers and sisters and friends. Those who've been constant supporters of me, and my wackiness....Stubborness...Melisa-ness. I think, it is important, to say 'Thank you.' joyfully. With heart-felt and moved exuberance. There is nothing, which zaps life so gravely than, not to. To take people, their kindness and goodness for granted. TO think, of it, as something one deserves. For, really-truthfully what is it, we actually deserve on a day to day to basis? Had, I not been moved, to say 'thank you.' I know, I'd think and believe, the world owed me. I was 'entitled.' What if, there was a debt-collector at the end of every day? Some one, or something holding a list in their hands, to meet with us each at the end of the day and tally up what we thought. How we acted toward one another.
Did we thank, that which is greater, grander and more live-living-loving and giving than we?
To say, one or two times in ones head, 'thank you.' is prayer.
It is also polite, It is a kindness to one another. People, just want to be noticed, and to say 'thank you' acknowledges actions, and recognizes behavior. Prayers, to and for each another....Not, just a great-good God. An awareness, of our life, living and those around us...by being grateful...thankful...I think, awareness, seeing, knowing things around us, is love. Because, to be aware is to listen to what is said, What is not said. To answer-respond accordingly.....
True humility, obedience and acceptance I do not have any authority, power or control over even the smallest thing. I do have, live and own something given to me. The very least, I could do is say or think, 'Thank you.' 'Thank you day.' 'Thank you world.' 'Thank you, chance.' 'Thank you fate.' Or just plain,
'Thank you.'
Not because, I could be far off worse than my fellow human beings (Which, is kind of true; And, what a lot of folks do feel and think this way.) But, because, the gifts, graces and riches handed over to me, were given to me freely...There is no expectation of thanksgiving.
I know, when I first started to be grateful, and thankful I didn't feel it right away. I felt like, I was only giving lip service--I was only saying it, and not feeling it. I kept doing it, till I could feel it. Till it was the most natural thing---Like, breathing.
It was the door, to the rest of the world, to be grateful, thankful. To train oneself, in the art of it. Manners, are the mark of quality education; And, once one can thank the world around them. One, sees, realizes and accepts what we have in this world is gift. What we do and are in this world is gift. Where we go, who we know, and how we love is all gift. I am not entitled, to one thing this world holds for me.
I can see a lot, more clearly with the art of being grateful. I can fee a lot more clearly. I think, I want a lot more clearly.

I don't know, What the creator of this fragile world says to us. I imagine, to wake up one day after another; Is, his greatest-grandest-truest 'thank you.'

It is Sunday, back to school tomorrow. Not a thing, interesting going on. Gotta wash and dry laundry; Shop for food; Outline, an attack plan for assignments due this week.

I've registered for a few classes for Spring quarter. I did register, for the Shakespeare literature class. I am excited; How I've loved this Images of Women in Literature class. How, I've enjoyed it. Thank you, lousy-irresponsible creative writing instructor for NOT letting me into your class...I'd not have discovered this deep felt desire for literature had it worked out differently.
Although, at the time I was furious, raging, angry. It worked out for my benefit. I am grateful. I guess sometimes, gratefulness finds us...seeks us and takes care of us.

2 comments:

Christopher said...

Appreciating the good people in my life is something I've focused on extensively in the last few years. Mostly because I didn't used to and lost a lot of people I shouldn't have.

Portland girl. said...

I've learned, to say thank you to bus driver's, bank tellers, grocery clerks, professor's, friends....I guess, I forget the most, when it comes to my relatives...How weird is that? Just weird.